Please Note: It is now a requirement in Wales to wear face coverings in Public Buildings. Please ensure you bring a face covering to Mass. Thank you.
Due to the restrictions caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, our churches are only gradually opening for public worship. The central church of St. Mary is temporarily the only church open for worship in the parish of All Saints Newport. As well as the limited seating at St. Mary’s we also have to take into consideration social distancing requirements, therefore the number of people the church can hold is far lower than usual.
We therefore need to ask you to book places at Mass, so that you will not arrive at church and find you cannot go in. Before booking for Mass please keep in mind the following:
- It is recommended that those aged 70 years or older and those with underlying medical conditions should remain at home and stay safe.
- The Sunday obligation remains dispensed until further notice. So do not worry if there is not space for Sunday Mass – simply come on a weekday when you can.
- Entry is dependent on holding a valid ticket to comply with track and trace requirements. On arriving at the church you will be asked to present your ticket, so please print the ticket once booking is complete.
- The doors to the church will open 20 minutes before Mass to allow adequate time for private preparation.
- Once Mass starts there will be NO FURTHER ADMISSIONS regardless of whether a ticket is held.
- You will be directed to your seat by a steward who has been instructed to fill the church from the FRONT. Your “usual” seat may not be accessible or already taken. This is to ensure that social distancing is always maintained. Please follow the instructions of the stewards being respectful at all times.
- Holy Communion will only be distributed under one kind (the Sacred Host) and must be received on the hand.
- Mass will be shorter than usual and Holy Communion will be distributed at the end of Mass.
- Tickets are NON-TRANSFERABLE. You must never pass your ticket on to another person to use.
- If you cannot make the Mass please let us know as soon as is reasonably possible to make your place available to someone who may wish to come to Mass.
- We are asking in order to know how many hosts to consecrate for the Mass for the number of people who will be receiving Holy Communion. If, on the day, anyone feels it is inappropriate to receive Communion, that is absolutely fine. Where possible, use of the tabernacle is to be avoided.
A note on the ticket options:
- A “Single” denotes pew positions which can accommodate upto 2 individuals from the same household/bubble sitting together whilst maintaining social distancing from other pew occupants.
- A “Family Pew” can accommodate a household of 6 people/bubble sitting together comfortably.
Households of two individuals can therefore be flexible when booking either an “individual place” or a “family” pew, perhaps taking note of availability – booking a “family” pew if there are few “single” pews remaining, or booking a “single” pew if there are few “family” pews remaining.
Please do not book two separate spaces for two individuals wishing to sit together – this would book you two single space on different pews – one “single” booking will secure you space for either one individual socially distanced or two members of the same household sitting together.
If you are booking on behalf someone who does not have Internet access please ensure you create a separate booking using their details. We are required to hold a list of attendees in case of emergency contact requirements.