The First Friday Devotions are a set of devotions to especially recognise the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and through it offer reparations for sins. In the visions of Christ reported by St. Margaret Mary Alacoque in the 17th century, several promises were made to those people who practised the First Fridays Devotions, one of which included final perseverance:
“I promise you, in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the first Friday for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance; they shall not die in my disgrace nor without receiving the sacraments; my divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in that last moment.” — Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary
How to complete the First Friday Devotion:
- Receive Holy Communion on each First Friday;
- The nine Fridays must be consecutive;
- They must be made in honour and in reparation to His Sacred Heart.
12 Promises of the Sacred Heart to St. Margaret Mary
Attached to the devotion are 12 promises Our Lord made to St. Margaret Mary:
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will give peace in their families.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- I will be their refuge in life and especially in death.
- I will abundantly bless all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise speedily to great perfection.
- I will bless those places wherein the image of my Sacred Heart shall be exposed and venerated.
- I will give to priests the power to touch the most hardened hearts.
- Persons who propagate this devotion shall have their names eternally written in my Heart.
- In the excess of the mercy of my heart, I promise you that my all powerful love will grant to all those who will receive Communion on the First Fridays, for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance: they will not die in my displeasure, nor without receiving the sacraments; and my Heart will be their secure refuge in that last hour.
The schedule for the devotion within All Saints is as follows:
- From 9:00am a priest will be available in the Confessional for the Sacrament of Reconciliation until the 10:00am Mass
- Wherever possible the 10:00am Mass will be a votive Mass of the Sacred Heart
- Following the Mass a Holy Hour in honour of the Sacred Heart in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament will take place.